Saturday, August 7, 2010

Olympic Peninsula trip: the finale

On our last day on the Olympic Peninsula, we had planned on maybe taking the scenic drive up through Hurricane Ridge, but were a little too tired from all the driving we'd done thus far and it was a little foggy and misty so the views wouldn't have been that great.

Instead, we decided to take our time getting back to the ferry and do a little more exploring in Port Townsend.

When we arrived, we went down to the waterfront area to find the Maritime Museum. Port Townsend is well known for kayaking and in particular, wooden kayaks (which Rod was interested in seeing) so we set out to find the museum and kayak shop.

I liked the architecture of The Foundery.

Imagine how big the ship would have to be, to have a cleat and rope that size.
When we found the Maritime center, we realized there wasn't much to see. They have a wooden kayak festival every year, but it wasn't until September.
So we headed to a kayak shop with beautiful handy work.




One of these years we'll have to go to the San Juan's in the summer and do some kayaking (if we're feeling adventurous enough)!

From there, we wandered up into the neighborhoods. One of my favorite thing about Port Townsend is the architecture. It has been named "Washington’s Victorian Seaport with a maritime heritage and touch of urban chic." And I'll have to agree with that.

I loved all the Victorian homes and picket-fence-lined streets.

This particular home had an amazing view of the ocean. I was kind of trespassing when I took these photos, but I couldn't help myself.


I think this one (below) was turned into a bed and breakfast. I would have loved to see how it was decorated inside.




We were lucky enough to have a street fair the day we were there. By this time, the sun had come out and the weather was perfect. It was fun to see the vendors, enjoy oldie's music from the 30's, and taste some of the food. I got some delicious fish taco's and Rod got a sausage wrapped in a crepe - different, but he liked it.

Random photo, but since I love umbrellas I had to take a picture.
At the end of the street there was a bell tower with a great view of the ocean and some brightly colored sail boats.

As we prepared to leave, I wanted to take one more picture. This lighthouse was actually converted into a house after it was no longer running, but I still thought it was pretty (and in case you forgot, I'm obsessed with lighthouses).
As later afternoon approached, we were on our way. Before we got to the ferry, we stopped in at Port Ludlow. There's not much there except for a resort and docking area. I remembered coming here on our boat years ago on a family trip. I just wanted to take a peek at it again.


And once again we were headed across the water, back home, after a wonderful 4 day adventure.


3 comments:

Emily C said...

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous

Rebekah said...

those houses are amazing!!! i really loved the church with the bright red door!! very welcoming!! beautiful!!!

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Wow....Brad would just drool over the wood kayaks! Loved the pics of the Victorian homes....would be cool to live in one ~ Sounds like a great trip!